see also Burning Feet, Foot Problems in Children
Less serious problems include verrucas (small, thickened patches of skin on soles of feet causing pain in walking - see Warts), athletes foot (itchy, peeling skin between toes), Corns and Calluses (lumps or pads of hard skin on toes or side of feet), and Bunions (big toe beginning to cross over or under others, swollen joints at base of big toes). General pain and tiredness in both feet, made worse by prolonged standing, may be the result of fallen arches or being overweight. Pain, redness, and swelling in a toe joint may be Gout, Rheumatoid Arthritis, or Osteoarthritis. Arterial diseases such as arteriosclerosis or Buerger's disease are more liked to cause pain in one foot, especially on walking.
Feet are also subject to injuries which cause Fractures and Sprains . A fracture should be suspected if there is severe pain, loss of movement, and deformity; appropriate action is to contact Emergency Medical Services and give Arnica 6c every 5 minutes until help arrives. A stress fracture of the foot (a hairline crack in a bone, typically after prolonged exercise, particularly marching) declares itself as increasing pain on walking; prompt attention is necessary, so consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 2 hours. If foot is merely sprained, it is painful, but can be walked on, and shows no deformity.
Joints which suddenly become painful and swollen, accompanied by Fever suggest Rheumatic Fever; appropriate action is to consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 12 hours.
If a cut or bite on a foot turns septic, see Wounds and consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 48 hours.
Specific remedies to be given every 4 hours for up to 3 doses; if no improvement within 48 hours, see your medical doctor
- Feet ache after too much walking or standing Arnica 30c
- Feet feel burning, stiff, and swollen Apis 30c
- Soles of feet burning, made worse by walking Graphites 30c
- Feet very hot, smelly, and sweaty, with tearing pain in heel or gimlet-like pain in big toe, especially at night Silicea 30c
- Feet more painful when resting, pain wears off with movement, wrenched or sprained feeling Rhus tox. 30c
- Rheumatic, drawing kind of pain in ankles and toes Caulophyllum 30c
- Soles of feet painful to step on, tightness and pain in one or both Achilles tendons Muriatic ac. 30c
- Soles of feet burning and itchy, made worse by hot baths and worse in bed Sulphur 30c
- Soles of feet hurt, especially when walking on hard pavements, tenderness, swelling, and heat worse towards balls of feet Petroleum 30c
- Soles of feet sweaty and painful, as if walking on pins Nitric ac. 30c