Great soreness and smarting of the mouth, lasting for months or years, most common in women after the Menopause; cause may be decreased hormone production, nerve damage, Stress; or food Allergy; in isolated cases, a deficiency of Vitamin B12 or folic acid (folate) has been identified. In addition to soreness and smarting, mouth may feel dry and tongue stick to palate; some sufferers also experience Headaches or, unjustifiably, fear that condition is due to Cancer; symptoms tend to worsen as day goes on, but mouth and tongue may look perfectly normal. Sometimes helped by Vicks lozenges, ice cubes, or cold drinks, but usually made worse by spicy or acidic foods, alcohol, nicotine, Influenza, and talking. The remedies below should be tried first.
Specific remedies to be taken 4 times daily for up to 14 days
- Sudden onset, mouth numb, dry, and red inside, tongue whitish and furred up Aconite 6c
- Mouth dry, red, and burning Belladonna 6c
- Symptoms made worse by cold drinks, soothed by warm ones Arsenicum 6c
- Person drinks lots of cold water, burning sensation extends down throat Phosphorus 6c
- Mouth sore, lips dry, bitter taste in mouth, centre of tongue whitish but margins and tip red Sulphur 6c
Self-help: Suck ice cubes if pain is severe. If condition seems to be aggravated by stress, try to learn some form of relaxation or meditation. Extra Vitamin C, B6, B12, folic acid (folate), and zinc, and Evening Primrose oil, may be beneficial.