These are usually caused by pressure on the bladder, urethra, and pelvic floor muscles, and can be aggravated by tight jeans, non-cotton underwear, bubble baths, etc.
Cystitis During Pregnancy
A burning sensation on passing water and a frequent urge to urinate. If none of the remedies recommended seems appropriate, more remedies - and self-help measures - are given under Cystitis.
Specific remedies to be taken up to 2-hourly daily for up to 3 days
- At first sign of discomfort, especially if weather is cold and windy and you are feverish, restless, and apprehensive Aconite 30c
- Slightest tension causes leakage of urine, scalding sensation during and after urination, lack of thirst, heat and lying down make discomfort worse Pulsatilla 30c
- Bladder and urethra feel itchy and irritable, dribbles of urine passed frequently and with some difficulty Nux 30c
- Urge to pass urine most frequent at night, burning and soreness after passing urine, urgency, urine copious and almost colourless Sulphur 30c
- Passing copious amount of cloudy urine at frequent intervals, burning sensation, urge to pass urine most frequent at night Phosphoric ac. 30c
- A bad attack of cystitis, with constant burning and urgency Cantharis 30c
Incontinence of Urine During Pregnancy
During pregnancy this is due to extra strain on the muscles which close the sphincter from the bladder. See Incontinence of Urine and Stress Incontinence for more information.
Specific remedies to be taken 4 times daily for up to 14 days
- Remedy of first resort Pulsatilla 6c
- Bearing down sensation as if contents of womb are about to fall out of vagina Sepia 6c
- Incontinence made worse by coughing Causticum 6c
Retention of Urine During Pregnancy (see also Retention of Urine)
Not uncommon in later pregnancy, and tends to come on gradually; urine flow becomes scantier, with intermittent pain in the bladder area; scanty flow can also contribute to cystitis (above). If pain becomes severe and urination impossible, Consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 2 hours; your medical doctor will pass a small tube called a catheter into the bladder to drain off the urine. The remedies given below are only suitable in the early stages of retention, when urination starts to become difficult.
Specific remedies to be taken ½ -hourly for up to 10 doses
- Remedy of first resort Nux 30c
- If Nux does not bring relief Pulsatilla 30c