see also Fits & Convulsions, Fits in Children, Febrile Convulsions, Epileptic Fits, Epilepsy
Can take different forms depending on the part of the brain affected; for reasons which are not clear, the electrical signals sent out by nerve cells in the affected part of the brain suddenly become very strong, disrupting the function of surrounding cells and causing uncontrollable jerking and twitching of various parts of the body. In two- thirds of cases, no physiological cause can be found; in other cases, the cause may be brain damage, either sustained at birth or the result of a head injury, brain infections such as encephalitis, or a brain tumour.
One fit does not constitute Epilepsy, which is a recurrent condition; in children, fits may be due to breath-holding, infantile spasm, or Febrile Convulsions. However, if you or a member of your family have had a fit, for whatever presumed reason, you should consult your medical doctor; after a first occurrence, medication may or may not be recommended, depending on the nature of the fit and the circumstances in which it occurred. If more fits occur, you will be referred to a neurologist and probably put on anti-convulsants.
Specific remedies to be taken even 60 seconds for up to 10 doses immediately after person stops twitching and jerking
- Fit brought on by fright or fever Aconite 30c
- Fit follows an attack of gastroenteritis, particularly in infants allergic to cow's milk, with drowsy spells after vomiting or passing stool, pupils dilated, teeth clenched, thumbs clenched inside fists Aethusa 30c
- Person red-faced, feverish, eves wide and staring, fainting, symptoms made worse by jolting or jarring Belladonna 30c
- Brought on by teething or after outburst of anger, especially if one cheek is red and the other white greenish watery stools thumbs clenched inside palms Chamomilla 30c
- Fit very violent, face and lips turn blue, thumbs clenched inside fists Cuprum 30c
- Fit brought on by exposure to sun or intense heat, head hot and congested, fingers and toes spread wide Glonoinum 30c
- Fit brought on be emotional upset, face pale twitching stars in face Ignatia 30c
- Person, especially a child, in pre-rash stage of an infectious illness; head rolling from side to side, fidgety movements of feet and legs, very bad tempered before attack comes on Zinc 30c