Girls tend to follow their mothers and boys their fathers in the timing of puberty; chronic illness and malnutrition can delay onset; puberty also comes later in children who are very thin or small for their age. If growth spurt has not taken place by age of 15, there may be cause for concern. Constitutional homeopathic treatment may be necessary, but if child is generally healthy one of the remedies below should be tried first; if there is no improvement after 2 months, see your medical doctor or homeopath.
Specific remedies to be given every 12 hours for up to 3 weeks
- Child thin, with a large head, chilly, prone to head sweats, generally timid but can be obstinate at times Silicea 6c
- Child flabby and overweight, chilly, prone to sour sweats, mentally and physically sluggish Calcarea 6c
- Child mentally and physically immature for age, plagued by sore throats, tonsillitis, and swollen glands, delayed periods Baryta 6c
Delayed Periods (see also Menstrual Problems)
Periods usually begin between age of 11 and 14, becoming regular at 15 or 16. If first period (menarche) has not occurred by age of 16, medical doctor should be consulted; cause may be Anaemia, Stress, or an imperforate hymen (sheet of tissue completely blocking outflow of blood from vagina). Constitutional homeopathic treatment may be necessary, but the remedies below should be tried first; if there is no improvement after 2 months, see your medical doctor or homeopath.
Specific remedies to be given every 12 hours for up to 3weeks
- Girl prone to nosebleeds Bryonia 6c
- Girl who is timid, often feels chilly, cries easily, suffers from headaches, prefers being in open air, feels sick when she eats rich food Pulsatilla 6c
- Lack of periods associated with constipation and anaemia, especially if girl has pear-shaped figure, worries a lot, and hates sympathy Natrum mur. 6c
- Sinking feeling in pit of stomach around 11 am, hot flushes, tension headaches, craving for fatty foods Sulphur 6c
- Depression, chilliness, weakness, eczema behind ears, mucous discharge from vagina Graphites 6c
- Girl overweight, nervous, and worried, complains of unusual fluttering and throbbing of heart, suffers from abdominal pain around 3 pm, sour belching from indigestion, redness and smarting of vulva, face flushed and pale by turns Kali carb. 6c