Occurs in people whose resistance to infection is already low or being overtaxed; harmful bacteria enter bloodstream - from an Abscess or other infection site, or through a wound - and begin to multiply unopposed, producing powerful toxins; Fever sets in, accompanied by Nausea, faintness, and an accelerated pulse rate, and skin becomes pale, cold, and clammy. If toxins continue to build up, person may go into septic Shock (earlier symptoms give way to drowsiness, confusion, unconsciousness).
If early symptoms of blood poisoning are present, consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 2 hours and select a remedy from the list below. If person goes into shock, contact Emergency Medical Services, give First Aid and Aconite 30c every 5 minutes.
Specific remedies to be given every 15 minutes for up to 10 doses
- Blood poisoning after wounds or surgery Arnica 30c
- Where a wound has turned septic Lachesis 30c
- High fever, slow pulse rate Pyrogenium 30c
- Sensation of being separated from body Baptisia 30c
- Dull headache, backache, chills, weakness, depression Ignatia 30c
- Blood poisoning from a boil or abcess Gunpowder 30c