A very infectious viral disease spread by droplets from the nose, mouth, or rash of an infected child or from an adult with Shingles. If your child has been in contact with someone suffering from chicken pox or shingles, give Varicella 30c or Rhus tox. 30c once a day for 10 days as a preventive.
Incubation period is 13-17 days from contact with infected person. First stage is low Fever and feeling generally unwell; this usually lasts for 24 hours. Second stage is eruption of rash and a temporary increase in fever. Third stage is decrease of fever and gradual healing of spots, which takes 6-10 days. Child remains infectious until all spots have healed. If scratched, spots can become infected and leave lasting pockmarks. Most children recover completely, but there is a small risk of the chicken pox virus (Herpes zoster) staying in the system and manifesting later as shingles. If spots are confined to hands, feet, and inside of mouth, child may be suffering from hand, foot and mouth disease (not the same as foot and mouth in cattle) rather than chicken pox.
If you suspect your child has chicken pox, consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 24 hours or contact your homeopath. If fever is still high 2 days after rash appears, or if child is clearly very poorly and chesty, consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 2 hours as there may be a risk of Pneumonia or Shingles.
Specific remedies to be taken every 2 hours for up to 10 doses
- Low fever and general discomfort during first stage Aconite 30c or Belladonna 30c, or a daily dose of Ferrum Phos. tissue salts
- Large blisters develop, child whines and doesn't want to be left alone Antimonium tart. 30c
- Rash, fever, child very restless Rhus tox. 30c
- Rash, fever, child very clingy, tearful, not thirsty in spite of high temperature Pulsatilla 30c
- Rash, fever, child very thirsty and hungry but refuses to eat Sulphur 30c
- Temperature down, spots beginning to heal but some infected Mercurius 30c
Self-help: Rub honey or Vitamin E cream on spots, provided skin is not broken. Oatmeal baths or sponge-downs with a solution of baking soda (4 teaspoonfuls bicarbonate of soda to 2.25 litres [4 pints] warm water) will help spots to dry and heal.