Fractures and Dislocations are most serious kinds of injury to shoulder, causing pain, loss of movement, and visible deformity; appropriate action is to contact Emergency Medical Services and Arnica 30c every 5 minutes for up to 10 doses. Strenuous exercise or overuse can also result in pulled muscles, Sprains, and Bursitis, though shoulder will still be movable. Standard treatment is to put arm in sling to rest shoulder joint until it heals, then physiotherapy. If shoulder dislocates repeatedly, an operation to tighten ligaments or build up rim of shoulder socket may be necessary. Osteoarthritis may develop in a shoulder joint which has been injured and immobilised for any length of time; another consequence of inquiry may be frozen shoulder (stiffness, pain, loss of mobility).
Rheumatoid Arthritis (swelling, stiffness, and pain) is uncommon in shoulder joints and Gout even less common.
Choose appropriate homeopathic remedy from those listed under conditions mentioned above; if none seems particularly suitable, choose one of the remedies listed below. If shoulder pain persists, see your medical doctor or homeopath.
Specific remedies to be given 4 times daily for up to 14 days
- Rheumatic pain in right shoulder, wears off during sleep but is made worse by movement or pressure Sanguinaria 6c
- Pain in right shoulder, especially around lower angle of shoulder blade, headache Chelidonium 6c
- Rheumatic pain in shoulder, relieved by walking, cold makes pain worse, as does sitting or getting overheated, pain most intense around midnight Ferrum 6c
- Burning pain in shoulder, worse in cold damp weather and after sleep or rest, pains wear off with gentle exercise Rhus tox. 6c
- Rheumatic pain in left shoulder, which feels dead and heavy, tendency to bring shoulder forward as if protecting chest Sulphur 6c
Self-help: Rest is the best medicine. Hot or cold applications may help to ease pain.