Small adhesions between individual muscle fibres, causing pain and stiffness; commonly caused by habitual strain due to occupational or postural habits, by unaccustomed strain, or by emotional tension; one of the commonest causes of backache (see Lumbago). Usually clears up in 3-4 days, provided muscles have not been torn.
Specific remedies to be taken 3-hourly for up to 2 days
- If pain comes on suddenly in cold dry weather and seems to be aggravated by movement, person restless and apprehensive Aconite 30c
- Muscles feel bruised, as if from sleeping on a bed that is too hard, movement makes pain worse, physical restlessness, irritability Arnica 30c
- Fibrositis in neck, back, and limbs, made worse by movement and by dry, cold, east winds, soothed by pressure Bryonia 30c
- Aching, tearing pains in limb muscles, with stiffness or weakness, pain wears off in warm, wet weather, but gets worse in cold Causticum 30c
- Pain and stiffness, having to get up in night because of pain, feeling bad tempered, as if nothing is going right Chamomilla 30c
- Affected muscles feel cold but pain and stiffness relieved by cold applications Ledum 30c
- Pain and stiffness worse in damp weather, in cold dry weather, after exercise, and around 4 am, turning over in bed hurts, pressure brings some relief, feeling very irritable Nux 30c
- Muscles stiff after overuse, stiffness improves with gentle movement, restlessness Rhus tox. 30c
Self-help: Take hot baths, and apply hot and cold compresses alternately to stimulate circulation. Soft tissue treatment from a physiotherapist or osteopath would also help. Also, you could try the Liver Diet for 1 month.