see also Toothache During Pregnancy
Usually a symptom of decay (see Tooth Decay) and a warning that prompt dental treatment is needed; paracetamol is the standard way of keeping pain at bay, but the homeopathic remedies given below should be tried first.
Continuous toothache which prevents sleep, or is associated with Fever and swelling of face or gum, or a tooth which is loose or feels too long, may be caused by a Tooth Abscess; you should see a dentist within 12 hours.
If tooth is sensitive to heat, cold, or sweet things, or gives pain lasting for more than a few minutes, nerve in tooth may be inflamed due to advanced decay; if pain is absent except when you bite, tooth or filling may be broken; in either case see your dentist within 48 hours.
Toothache after a filling is not unusual on contact with cold air or cold drinks once local anaesthetic wears off, but if pain persists and tooth becomes sensitive to heat as well, see your dentist as soon as possible. A return visit to the dentist may also be necessary if filling is not level and still hurts to bite on a week later. Malocclusion, failure of the jaws to close properly, may also cause problems, which may need cranial osteopathy and dental adjustment.
Toothache can also accompany Gingivitis and Sinusitis. The homeopathic remedies given below are not a substitute for prompt dental treatment, but they relieve discomfort.
Specific remedies to be given every 5 minutes for up to 10 doses
- Tooth very nervy, aggravated by cold air and slightest pressure but better for eating, teeth generally feel sensitive, as if they are somehow too long and exposed, mouth full of saliva Plantago 30c (Plantago mother tincture can also be rubbed on affected tooth)
- Toothache made worse by heat and hot food, relieved by applying ice Coffea 30c
- Pain unbearable, made worse by cold air, by warm food and drink, and by coffee at night, person like a bear with a sore head Chamomilla 30c
- Tender, spongy gums which bleed easily, loose teeth, bad breath, person very thirsty, mouth full of saliva, pains shoot up to ears Mercurius 30c
- Severe toothache aggravated by cold air, food, and slightest pressure, drawing or tearing pain, cheek red and swollen, bad tooth black and disintegrating Staphysagria 30c
- Pain unbearable, especially with hot food or drink, relieved by cold water, person not at all thirsty, feels better in open air Pulsatilla 30c
- Pain after a filling or extraction Arnica 30c
- Throbbing pain and dry mouth, developing gumboil Belladonna 30c
- Teeth discoloured and decayed, breath smells foul, person also suffering from constipation Kreosotum 30c
- Gums feel tight and swollen, toothache burns and stings Apis 30c
- Teeth feel too long, hot food and drink and movement aggravate pain, but lying down, especially on painful side, alleviates pain, tooth less painful when pressed Bryonia 30c
- Toothache comes on every time person eats, cold air and cold drinks make it worse, especially during pregnancy Calcarea 30c
- Nervy pains like little electric shocks, soothed by warmth Magnesia phos. 30c
Self-help: Rub Clove oil on affected tooth, but only if three or more of the above remedies have been tried without success (Clove oil can have an antidoting effect on homeopathic remedies).