see also Excessive Salivation During Pregnancy
Most common disorder is Mumps, a virus infection of the parotid glands and sometimes of the submaxillary glands as well.
Much rarer; these cause the affected gland to swell and discharge putrid-tasting pus into the mouth; appropriate action is consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 48 hours, and Mercurius 6c every 2 hours in the meantime for up to 6 doses; an antibiotic may be necessary. Afterwards, constitutional treatment can help to boost general resistance to infection.
Salivary Duct Stones
Hardened accumulations of various chemicals in saliva, are rare but most commonly affect the submandibular glands, which become swollen with trapped saliva; occasionally they may become infected, as above. Sucking a lemon has been known to flush out stones - the acid juice greatly stimulates the production of saliva - but if this does not work, consult your medical doctor; stones can be removed under local anaesthetic. In the meantime, take Calcarea 6c every 4 hours for up to 3 days.
Usually part of a wider condition, and clears up when this is treated; occasionally, it is a feature of pregnancy. Occurring in isolation, it may be due to problems with mercury amalgam fillings; if no other cause, or associated symptoms, can be pinpointed, try one of the remedies below.
Specific remedies to be taken 4 times daily for up to 3 days
- If associated with sore gums, saliva especially copious at night, wetting pillow Mercurius 30c
- If associated with mouth ulcers and splinter-like pains in ulcers Nitric ac. 30c
- If associated with headache or migraine Iris 30c
- Made worse by eating Allium 30c
- If associated with nausea Ipecac. 30c
Deficiency of Saliva
Usually associated with a higher than normal temperature; it may also be a symptom of Burning Mouth Syndrome, or a response to constantly breathing through the mouth.
Specific remedies to be taken every 2 hours for up to 10 doses
- Mouth dry, person restless and anxious Arsenicum 30c
- Mouth dry and hot, person feverish Belladonna 30c
- Lips dry and parched, great thirst, fever Bryonia 30c
- Mouth dry and burning Capsicum 30c
- Tongue sticks to roof of mouth Nux mosch. 30c