Electrocution & Electrical Injuries

Electrical shocks can stop a person's breathing or heart, and also cause burns (see ShockBurns and Scalds).

If the victim is still in contact with the electricity source, be extremely careful that you don't become the next casualty. Switch off the current if you can. If this is not possible, push the casualty away from the electricity source using some form of insulated or non-conducting lever (a wooden chair, a broom handle). Remember that water is an extremely good conductor, so beware of wet hands, wet floors, and anything damp.

High-voltage electricity - the kind carried by power lines or railway cables - is usually instantaneously fatal. Never go near such a casualty; high voltage electricity can 'arc' several metres through the air.

As soon as you have switched off the electricity or separated the victim from the faulty appliance, check for breathing and pulse, and give cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (see Circulation) as necessary, place in the recovery position (see Unconsciousness), and contact Emergency Medical Services.

Specific remedy to be given every 30 minutes for up to 6 doses after an electric shock

  • Phosphorus 30c

Go Back Back to Ailments & Diseases

View Related

Ailment & Diseases

  Burns & Scalds
View Related



Forward this Article

Email this Page
Forward this page to a friend

Print this Article

Print this Page
Send this page to your printer
Dr Lockie logo