Caused by many different strains of virus, and spread by droplet infection; affects respiratory tract, causing a Sore Throat, Cough, and sometimes chest pain, but also produces muscular aches and pains generally, chills, Headache, and Fever. Incubation period is 1-2 days, fever lasts 2-3 days, and full recovery may take 1-2 weeks. Young children, elderly people, smokers, diabetics, and people who suffer from chronic lung disease are likely to be hit hardest; possible complications are acute Bronchitis and Pneumonia. One attack confers only limited immunity. Provided there are no complications, best treatment is bed rest and plenty of fluids; antibiotics are not appropriate unless there is secondary infection. If temperature is not back to normal within 4 days, see your medical doctor.
Specific remedies to be taken every 2 hours for up to 10 doses
- Chills up and down spine, feeling tired, weak, and shaky, but not thirsty, bursting headache, passing urine seems to relieve symptoms Gelsemium 30c
- Feeling dried out, hot, and irritable, especially when moving about, tremendous thirst at infrequent intervals, headache made worse by coughing, wanting to be in quiet of own home Bryonia 30c
- Eyes and nose hot and streaming, chills, exhaustion feeling thirsty for sips of water Arsenicum 30c
- Suddenly feeling knocked out and gone to pieces, high fever, drugged, stupid look on face Baptisia 30c
- Severe pains in limbs, as if bones were broken, bursting headache, shivering, eyeballs feel sore Eupatorium 30c
- Symptoms come on suddenly, especially in dry, cold weather, person very apprehensive Aconite 30c
- Severe pain in back of thighs, chills, rapid pulse, slightly raised temperature, restlessness, bed feels too hard Pyrogenium 30c
- Restlessness, muscles feel stiff and painful Rhus tox. 30c
- Feeling very chilly, slightest movement increases cold feeling, nose stuffed up during day and runny at night, fluids seems to make symptoms worse, stomach upset Nux 30c
- Pain in throat extends to ears, glands swollen and tender Phytolacca 30c
- Symptoms come on suddenly, very high temperature, excited or incoherent behaviour, flushed face and staring eyes Belladonna 30c
- Bursting, throbbing headache Glonoinum 30c
Immunization/prevention: Since each flu outbreak or epidemic is caused by a slightly different virus, immunization - whether orthodox or homeopathic - can only be partially effective. Some medical doctors advise annual vaccination for diabetics, bronchitis, etc.
Homeopathy offers Flu nosode 30c, or a combination of this and Bacillinum nosode 30c, to be taken once every 3 weeks during winter months. Alternatively, try elderberry extract, 4 tablespoons per day.