see also Sore Throat, Tonsillitis in Children
Acute infection of the tonsils, less common in adults than children; symptoms similar to those of Influenza (sore throat, headache, fever, feeling hot and shivery by turns), except that tonsils at back of throat look red and swollen. Usually responds to self-help measures within 2-3 days, but if accompanied by a very high Fever and feeling extremely ill, consult your doctor if there is no improvement in 12 hours. In susceptible individuals, tonsils tend to flare up when they are run down or overstressed; flare-ups can also be due to food Allergy. For recurrent tonsillitis, constitutional homeopathic treatment is recommended.
Specific remedies to be taken every 2 hours for up to 10 doses
- Throat very sore and tender to the touch, fiery pains, which shoot up into head and occur in spasms whenever person moves, pains tend to be right-sided and associated with stiff tender neck, pupils dilated, strawberry tongue with coated centre Belladonna 30c
- Throat feels as if there is a fishbone caught in it, pain alleviated by warm drinks, yellow pus coughed up, foul-smelling breath, person oversensitive physically and emotionally, unreasonable, feels chilly and shivery, especially in draughts, abscess developing on tonsils Hepar sulph. 30c
- Throat dark red, swollen, and sore, worse on right side, more painful at night and aggravated by speaking, tongue yellow and coated, breath offensive, hot sweats which make throat feel worse, excessive saliva which burns throat when swallowed Mercurius 30c
- Sores at corner of mouth, stringy saliva, tonsils thickly coated in slimy film, prickling sensation in throat, person not thirsty Nitric ac. 30c
- Throat sore on right side, associated with toothache or flatulence, tongue dry and puffy but not coated, throat feels more sore after cold drinks and food, and worse between 4 and 8 am or 4 and 8 pm Lycopodium 30c
- Throat sore on left side, swallowing causes pain in left ear, back of throat looks reddish purple; sleep, heat, liquids, and anything tight around neck make throat feel worse, but swallowing food seems to alleviate soreness Lachesis 30c
- Pain affects left and right side of throat alternately, back of throat covered in white, silvery film, saliva viscous and sticky, symptoms may coincide with a period Lac can. 30c
- Throat feels rough and constricted, tonsils look hot, dark red, and swollen, pain extends to ears and root of tongue, is more marked on right side, and gets worse with heat, neck glands enlarged, person exhausted, unresponsive, and feels extremely ill, also complains of cobweb sensation on face Phytolacca 30c
Self-help: A day or two in bed, drinking plenty of fluids, usually speeds recovery. Chronic tonsillitis may be helped by taking extra Vitamin C, B complex, zinc, and iron.