Excessive amounts of flaking skin on scalp, sometimes with itchiness and redness; may be a symptom of Seborrhoeic Eczema, a mild form of eczema which can also affect face and chest; more rarely, condition is a feature of Psoriasis, involving knees and elbows as well or a sign of a fungal infection. Hair growth is not usually affected. If possible, try the homeopathic remedies and self-help measures given below before resorting to scalp preparations containing steroids. If appropriate, use remedies given for Seborrhoeic Eczema and Psoriasis.
Specific remedies to be taken 3 times daily for up to 2 weeks
- Scalp dry, sensitive, and very hot, unbearably itchy at night, round bare patches of scalp show through hair Arsenicum 6c
- Scalp moist, greasy, and sensitive around hair roots Sepia 6c
- Dandruff thick, a lot of scratching at night. Which causes skin to burn, scalp made even drier by washing hair Sulphur 6c
- Intense itching, thick leathery crusts with pus underneath and white scabs on top Mezereum 6c
- Flaky scalp, hair loss Fluoric ac. 6c
- Scalp moist, encrusted, and smelly, crusting worse behind ears Graphites 6c
- Itching like insect bites all around hairline of forehead, moist, smelly spots behind ears, itching made worse by heat Oleander 6c
- White crusting around hairline, hair lank and greasy Natrum mur. 6c
Self-help: in addition to the remedies above, take Kali mur. 3 times daily for up to 1 month, then 3 times daily for only 5 days out of 7 until scalp improves. Reduce intake of refined carbohydrates and animal fats, and take extra Vitamins B, C, and E, and zinc. Dandruff which sticks to the hair and scalp can loosened by rinsing scalp with sour milk or a mild solution of lemon juice (2 tablespoons lemon juice to 0.5 litre [1 pint] boiled cooled water). As for shampoo, use pure soap. Apply Calendula ointment to itchy areas around hairline. If whole scalp itches, apply cold-pressed linseed oil overnight (sleep on an old towel and wash it off with pure soap shampoo in the morning. If all ease fails, wash hair in shampoo which contains selenium, but follow the instructions carefully. Be sensible with exposure to sun and practise relaxation.