A wound is any break in the skin which allows blood to escape and infection to enter; surrounding or underlying tissues may be bruised or torn as well.
The aim of First Aid is to stop bleeding and prevent infection. Avoid touching wounds as much as possible. If it is necessary to clean a wound, wipe it with a sterile pad soaked in Hypericum and Calendula solution always wiping outwards from the wound, never towards it. All kinds of wounds, from minor grazes to gaping cuts, can be cleaned with Hypericum and Calendula solution.
Minor wounds should then be covered with a sterile dressing, and the dressing left undisturbed for 2-3 days. Sizable cuts and gashes will need stitching, so take the person to hospital or in the case of severe injury or bleeding, contact emergency medical services. If the casualty has not had a tetanus injection in the last 10 years, make sure he or she is given one. This is particularly important if the wound involves old machined or garden implements, or has dirt in it.
Specific remedies to be given every 30 minutes for up to 6 doses
- If wound is deep and requires stitching Arnica 30c
- If wound is very painful Staphysagria 6c, followed by Calendula 30c every 6 hours for up to 3 days
Specific remedies to be given every 2 hours for up to 6 doses, then 3 times daily for up to 3 days
- Moderate or severe bruising Arnica 30c
- If wound feels numb and cold but is better for cold applications Ledum 30c
- Shooting nerve pains after stitching Hypericum 30c
Puncture wounds, from rusty nails, or animal bites, become infected quite easily as there is little bleeding to remove foreign bodies and bacteria. Check for tetanus immunity. There may also be damage to underlying blood vessels, tissues, or organs. Wash with Hypericum and Calendula solution immediately, and see a doctor if the wound becomes more painful within the next 24 hours. Pus oozing from the wound, or red streaking of the skin around it, is a sure sign of trapped infection.
- Hepar sulph. 30c every 2 hours for up to 6 doses, followed by Ledum 6c every 8 hours for up to 3 days
- If wound gives nervy, shooting pain Hypericum 30c every 8 hours for up to 3 days
Self-help: Licking wounds aids healing because saliva is a natural antiseptic.